Friday, January 18, 2013

Don't Judge me, but i'm an East Coast Girl

Fresh out of hopes to crush, I'm back from my west coast adventures. Although there was a whole lot of awesome going on (Zion! Vegas! Beaches! Friends!) beer wasn't really one of those things (among other disappointing happenings). 
Unfortunately, Utah has some interesting beer laws. 3.5 percent is all they can do. I got a taste of Polygamy Porter made by Wasatch beers that somehow manages a 4 percent (Isn't that against the law?). I 'll admit, it wasn't my beer, i was the driver on this adventure, so i only got one sip. But I have to say, from that one sip, I was not impressed. It didn't have much flavor on the front end, and admittedly smooth and tasty middle, but with a slightly metalic aftertaste. At least it has a sense of humor about its origins. 
I couldn't find a single microbrew in Vegas! To be honest, I wasn't looking that hard, there were too many shiny lights distracting me. What I did find though, was lots of Mike's hard lemonade, beer in tall boys (i played hipster all weekend) and margaritas in very tall plastic cups to make it look like there is more in the container. Next time, I swear, I'll make a better effort.  
In LA my first stop was my beloved Trader Joe's. Keith and I picked up some Paulaner octoberfest wheat beer. MMMMmmMMmMm. And it comes in a liter can! I wish they had these near where I live. So sad. I checked today. Its nothing super fancy, but its just darned good. And since its from TJs its plenty cheap enough for me.
A few nights later it was on to some local brews. At the Lazy Ox near Little Tokyo in downtown LA, I got a Telegraph Winter Ale. This 5% APV beer from Santa Barbara. It was brown in color. Very pretty really. That's about all i've got. I thought it was Meh. And for 8 bucks, it wasn't worth it. I switched to the happy hour on sale for 3 bucks Mama's Little Yella Pils from Colorado. Next time i'm there, i think i will have to head over to this brewery. I've had a few of their's before. And while this wasn't my favorite all time beer, it was a yummy well rounded pilsner  with a nice hoppy bite in the aftertaste, at a steal for 3 bucks. 
 
More happy times later, kiddies! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment