Saturday, August 24, 2013

Santa Fe Brewing Once Again

What to do when you need to bring beer to a BBQ? Pick something that looks tasty- and if you are me, grab something you haven't tried from a brewery that seems to do you right. The only problem, which I didn't realize until the aroma hit me, was that i purchased a Saison (Saison 88 to be exact) which is a type of beer I don't generally enjoy. For those of you that love a fruity, wheaty beer, you'll love Saisons. Unless of course you don't like higher alcohol beers. Then stay away.
For me, Saisons tend to be too fruity and too wheaty. When i popped the top of this Santa Fe Brewing Company beer I got a whiff of the fruity pale ale smell. A smell that made me reconsider my buying decision. However, after a few sips, I found that I wasn't completely wrong in choosing Saison 88. It still bears the hallmarks of a Saison, but it is much more drinkable, less cloying, and well balanced. Most saisons seem to slap you in the face with their fruitiness, while this one is pleasant. I may not buy it again, but i give it props. 3.5/5. Also, the can is damn pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment