Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tuesday night TV and wine

 What else is there to do on a lazy Tuesday when all motivation has left the building but crack open whatever wine has been hanging out in the fridge and check the TV for new episodes of Portlandia and Archer (or at least episodes that are new to me)? Especially when a food coma has set in from demolishing some awesomely seasonal Shamrock Shakes. For this exciting occasion I pulled out the second tier Vinho Verde (I'm hoarding the good stuff, it'll pop up on the blog a little bit later. Espiral brand, that I had Mike pick up from Trader Joe's for me for a little under 5 bucks a bottle, is a a good stand in for my favorite type of Vinho Verde. Light and crisp, its more of a summer drink, but I'll drink it anytime I get the chance. For under 5 bucks this bottle is a great value, I'll give it a 4.5, with a 4 for taste. This was a great bottle to start the evening.
Unfortunately, I made the not so great decision to switch bottles midway through to a bottle of California Collection Beringer wine that I picked up for about 4 dollars from Payless last week when I was food shopping. While I was looking for a bottle of  light, drinkable white, I should not have followed up one of my
favorite with a savignon blanc. This wine wasn't sweeter than the Vinho Verde, but it somehow contrasted really poorly to my first glass. I think i'll have to try it again on its own before I can make a real decision on it. It seems like a wine that would be good with dinner as oposed to an accompaniment to some tv time. After this thanksgiving when Beringer wines went on sale for $2.50 a piece for a few varieties of deliciously drinkable wines, thus making my holiday season, I can't just write them off.

I'd also make a note, that yes, those are Ugg slippers behind the bottle. And no, they are not mine, they are Patrick's. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment