Saturday, February 23, 2013

White Wine or Red Wine?

Overall, when it comes to wine, i really prefer white wine. I know red wine has more health benefits, but for me the only upside is that its harder for me to drink, so i tend to take it slow and enjoy it more. White wine on the other hand, i can pretty much guzzle. 
While I was in Amherst this past weekend, I went to the weekly wine tasting at Amherst Wines and Spirits, a locally run wine shop. Every saturday they do a wine tasting of a different region or type, or both. This past weekend it was Spanish White Wines. While I hadn't heard of most of he varieties  i only ended up liking the first one i tried. I was a lighter, but not light dry white. I'll see if i can't think of what it was called. Amherst wines has a great selection of affordable bottles.
I picked up a 9 dollar italian white wine, since it looked so good. Its Ribolla Gialla, thats the type of grape, bye Ca' Stella. I liked it, and in only a few sittings I had knocked back the whole bottle. I would rate this a 5/5 for yumminess. I reallllly enjoyed it. It was light and refreshing, but not especially dry. 4.5/5 for value, since 9 is still pretty cheap for a bottle i really enjoyed.
When the white was kicked i found this 2003 Marques de Riscal Risevera Rioja. Honestly, i'm not so sure how good this wine is anymore, as in, it may have gone bad. The newer reviews of this spanish wine seem to say its ok, but i'm not so sure. Its mostly tempranillo grape mixed with graciano y manzuelo, and I'm not so sure what my track record is with those. I'm actually going to refrain from rating this one, just in case its a little past its prime. 
*note the cork crumbled when i tried to open it, which may be a sign that oxygen could reach the wine, causing chemical changes.
Cheers anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment