Saturday, November 3, 2012

When it feels like the holiday season

A cold snap has finally dawned on us. On a run today, i was pelleted with tiny little snowballs. Fun. There are good aspects to the season, however. One of them came from an unexpected place: a box of franzia.
The other day I was out picking up some stuff at the supermarket with Tyler, and I couldn't resist a 6 dollar on sale box of franzia. It was chillable red, but hey, whatever, i'll give it a shot. I threw it in the fridge and popped it open a couple of days later.
Unexpectedly, it brought me back, back all the way to last winter when i spent a couple of weeks bumming around Europe with some of the coolest hobos i know. In Germany and the Czech republic this time of year, well maybe closer to Christmas, is Gluhwein season. Cheap, ubiquitous, and not too bad with a shot of absenthe or rum in it, Gluhwein can also lead to some hearty hangovers and bad decision making. Essentially its cheap red wine, mulled 'til it smells like Christmas. Or popuri. Whichever. I swore after drinking probably a half gallon of this stuff when the hostel i was staying at was giving it away for free to get rid of it, that I would never, ever bother drinking it again. I guess i'm wrong. this box of franzia with its fruity, not really wine at all flavors makes me reminisce for that mulled wine. It might be that it tastes like the cheap red base for the stuff. Who knows, but i might be getting some mulling spice soon, to try this stuff out hot.
Happy November everyone, now i'm off for a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment