Friday, December 21, 2012

Making Mulled Wine

While I'm not a real Hoilday-y type person, every once in a while I may try to get into the spirit of things. Last night I made my basically annual attempt as a snowy, windy, yucky, storm rolled through. Since i'm crashed at a friends place and I think the heat is at 60 or something thereabouts, I needed to warm up a bit. Good thing Tyler was still in town to share his work in progress recipe for mulled wine.
Our version:
half a giant bottle of wine (sweet red)
one sliced orange
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks

Simmer, or boil, whichever, and depends on how much alcohol you want in it. The first mug gave me a good buzz, the second mug was from the accidentally boiled batch and my buzz did not hold up. Smelled like holiday spirit, though :).
I think next time i'll try a real recipe.
Also, the wine we used was crap. It was a sweet red from Liberty creek, not something i would buy for anything but making cheap holiday punch. 4/5 for value (biiigggg bottle) and 1/5 for taste.

This recipe looks similar... but slightly more accurate: http://wine.about.com/od/holidayswithwine/r/MulledWines.htm

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment