Tuesday, May 1, 2012

When we do it right...

I'm a little behind on my blogging, I spent some time recently at a conference in San Diego, followed by a mini climbing vacation in Kentucky, so I haven't been devoting too much time to drinking and talking about it. There are a few things I do want to back up and post on, though.
Last Thursday following one of the worst headaches I've had in a while, I went over to Mike's for some much earned R&R. It was his turn to cook some delicious food and pair it with some possibily tastier wine. We are working on his cooking for future dates. I am the lucky beneficiary of his culinary practice. On the menu for that day was grilled salad with balsamic dressing and feta cheese.
Following the salad we threw some seasoned whitefish in a tinfoil packet on the grill and paired it with a light Meridian Pinot Grigio. As you can see, the fish didn't last too long, it was realllllllly good! The wine was middle of the road, nice, light, and not overbearing. I'd give it a 3.5/5 for taste, and 3/5 for value since I liked it, and honestly can't remember how much it cost. It paired nicely with the fish and made for an overall enjoyable evening. Date approved, Mike! Add it to the list of possibilities. 
After dinner, Mike got all fancy and made icecream with a blackberry sacue. AMAZING! Blackberries are my absolute favorite and we paired this with a bottle of blackberry wine I've been saving for a special occasion, but Mike wins! and got to split the bottle with me. The blackberry sauce and the wine, an Oliver Winery mainstay, tasted almost the same. Except one gave me a great buzz. Both were overall amazing. The blackberry wine gets a 5/5 for taste, i really do love the stuff, but a 4.5/5 for value, since its on the high end of my wine budget at 15-20 dollars (I bought it in October, so i don't recall).  
More to come, including sangria in San Diego and boxed wine, made to drink around the campfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment